What you can do
Join us for leafleting to raise awareness of the strike: meet at Penrhyn Rd main entrance:
- TODAY 12pm
- Monday 2 December 12pm
Join us on the picket lines: don’t worry if you’ve never been on a picket line – there will be plenty of other people there. Details:
- Penrhyn Road Contact email@example.com to sign up for a shift:
- Knights Park Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a shift:
- Kingston Hill Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for details
VC’s Open Meeting
Our Vice-Chancellor is holding one of his ‘open meetings’ in the Staff Space at Knights Park campus: we want to make sure that we are there to meet him:
- Join us at Knights Park from 11:30
Why we are on strike
The main issue is pay: London lecturers’ salaries have fallen 15% since 2009. There are however many related issues:
- Casualisation: Over 1000 zero-hours contract workers at Kingston
- Job cuts
- Gender inequality
From 1 November, UCU members have been undertaking action short of a strike by working to contract. Comprehensive advice on what you should be doing is available on the UCU website: http://www.ucu.org.uk/workingtocontract.
To help make the action more effective, we are also asking members to:
1. Send this email to our Director of HR Dean Morley (email@example.com) requesting all documents relating to your contractual obligations:
Dear Dean Morley,
As a member of UCU who urges UCEA to reopen meaningful negotiations over the pay award, I am participating in ‘Work to Contract’ action.
To ensure that I meet my contractual obligations I would be grateful if you could forward to me all documents relevant to my employment with the University (e.g. letters of appointment, terms and conditions, contracts, and HERA assessments). As you will understand, it is important that I receive these documents urgently to ensure that I am not in breach of my obligations.
In instances where these documents do not stipulate specific duties I may seek written clarification from my line manager to ensure there is no misunderstanding. I will share this information with UCU who may use it both to advise me during the ‘work to contract’ action and to conduct an equalities audit across UCU members.
Please cc us and you line manager when you do so.
2. Set your email to auto-respond with the following message: ‘PLEASE NOTE: There may be a delay in dealing with your email as I am participating in UCU industrial action by “working to contract” in support of the union’s campaign for fair pay in higher education.’
3. Put the attached poster on your office door.
Remember that the university cannot deduct your pay for working to contract. Deductions of pay for partial performance of your contract might be lawful, depending on the precise circumstances, but would be open to contest.